Homeowner Assistance Fund (HAF)
If you are a homeowner on Hawai‘i Island or Kaua‘i and are in financial hardship, HCL can help!
Grant funds can be used to pay past due mortgages, property taxes, and homeowner association fees.
Mortgage assistance is limited to homeowners who reside on Hawai‘i Island and Kaua‘i who have loans with participating mortgage servicers ONLY. If your mortgage servicer is not listed below, you are ineligible to receive funds at this time.
Learn how your mortgage servicer can participate here.
- 30 days most recent paystubs
- Most recent profit-loss statement (if self-employed)
- 30 days of most recent bank account statements, credit card statements, and utility bills for ALL accounts
- 30 days most recent asset statements for ALL accounts (i.e. retirement, pension, etc)
- Public benefits statements (i.e. SSI/SSDI, SNAP, TANF, General Assistance)
- 2019 Federal Tax return
- Most recent Federal Tax return
- Copy of mortgage statement
- Copy of past due property tax or HOA fee bill, notice of default, or notice of sale (if facing foreclosure)
- Birth Certificate (if Native Hawaiian)
How to apply
Enroll online by following the link:
Returning applicant? Follow the link to log into your portal:
Enroll by phone:
• Hawai‘i Island: (808) 934‐0801
• Kaua‘i : (808) 784‐3841
In‐person at the Hawai‘i Island or Kaua‘i Financial Opportunity Center (appointment required)
• 1315 Kalanianaole Avenue, Hilo, HI 96720
• 2600 Kaumuali‘i Highway, Suite E-12, Lihue, HI 96766
Frequently asked questions
The Homeowner Assistance Fund provides grants up to $30,000 to help homeowners who have experienced financial hardship reduce monthly mortgage payments and also pay past-due mortgages, past-due property taxes and past-due HOA fees.
All applicants will be referred to free housing counseling to assist homeowners create action plans to sustain homeownership.
The goal of the Homeowner Assistance Fund is to help our local people prevent foreclosure.
You must meet the property and borrower requirements and your mortgage servicer must be participating in the Homeowner Assistance Fund.
Find specific eligibility requirements and a list of participating mortgage servicers at www.hawaiicommunitylending.com/grants-loans.
Once you submit your intake to a Financial Opportunity Center, you will be asked to complete a pre- screening Homeowner Questionnaire.
The Questionnaire will inform you if you qualify for the Homeowner Assistance Fund.
It will also tell you and Hawaiian Community Assets the best next step and resources to address your situation.
To apply – call 808.587.7656, email HAF [at] hawaiianCommunity.net or visit www.hawaiicommunitylending.com/grants-loans/
Copies of financial documents will be required.
Send a Participating Servicer Request Letter to your servicer that encourages them to sign up to participate.
All it takes is 4 easy steps to make you eligible for the Homeowner Assistance Fund. The more homeowners who submit letters to their servicer, the more likely they will be to participate.
No, you do not have to be past due on your mortgage to be eligible for the program. Once you complete the application to enroll in a Hawaiian Community Assets Financial Opportunity Center, you will receive a Homeowner Questionnaire that will guide you on the best next step to resolve your mortgage issues.
• Live in your home on Hawai‘i Island or Kaua‘i.
• Own no other real property.
• Have experienced financial hardship (i.e. a 10% decrease in annual income or 10%
increase in household expenses since March 2020).
• Have less than $25,000 in assets (i.e. retirement, savings, pension) or less than five times your monthly mortgage payment..
• Meet the maximum annual household income requirements:
• Have a mortgage with one of the qualifying mortgage servicers listed below,
reverse mortgages allowed (not required for past-due property taxes and past-due
Funding is limited to homeowners who reside on Hawai‘i Island and Kaua‘i who have loans with participating mortgage servicers ONLY. If your mortgage servicer is not listed below, you are ineligible to receive funds at this time.
Participating mortgage servicers list:
• American Savings Bank
• Arvest Central Mortgage Company
• Big Island FCU
• BSI Financial Services
• Caliber Home Loans
• Capital Mortgage Servicers of Texas
• Carrington Mortgage
• Central Pacific Bank
• Click n’ Close
• Community Loan Servicing
• First Hawaiian Bank
• Freedom Mortgage
• Gather Federal Credit Union
• Gregory Funding
• Habitat for Humanity Hawai‘i Island
• HFS Federal Credit Union
• HomeStreet Bank
• Interfirst Mortgage Company
• Kaua‘i Federal Credit Union
• Kaua‘i Habitat for Humanity
• Lakeview Loan Servicing
• Loan Care
• Loan Depot
• M&T Bank
• Mr. Cooper/Right Path Servicing
• PHH Mortgage Corporation
• PNC Bank
• Planet Home Lending
• Rocket Mortgage
• Select Portfolio Servicing (SPS)
• Selene Finance LLP
• The Money Source
• US Bank
• Valon Mortgage
• Wells Fargo
If your mortgage servicer is not participating in the program, consider downloading and sending this Participating Servicer Request Letter to your mortgage servicer to ask them to help you become eligible for Homeowner Assistance Fund grants